This has been one of my favorite stuffing recipe's since I found it on Paleo Running Momma's blog! It is perfect for those guests that have dietary needs (Paleo, grain free, gluten free, dairy free, and Whole30 friendly), not only that but it is delicious. With full cook and prep time around an hour its easy to have going while you whip up everything else in the kitchen.
- 1 large butternut squash peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes, about 5 1/2-6 cups
- 1 1/2 tbsp cooking fat for roasting
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 2 tbsp cooking fat ghee, coconut oil, or lard, more as needed
- 1 small onion chopped
- 3 celery stalks chopped
- 1 lb pork sausage no sugar added for Whole30
- 1 large apple or 2 small, cored and chopped
- 1/4-1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp + 1 tsp dried poultry seasoning
- 3/4 cup dried cranberries *fruit sweetened for Whole30
- 1 egg whisked (optional**)
- Fresh parsley for garnish optional
- First prepare to roast the butternut squash cubes.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Toss the cubes with the 1 1/2 Tbsp preferred cooking fat and 1/4 tsp salt, and spread out in a single layer on a large baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Roast in the preheated oven for 30-40 minutes, stirring or turning once for even browning. Squash should be soft and toasty brown before removing.
- While the squash is roasting, get your other ingredients chopped and ready.
- Heat a large skillet (cast iron/ovenproof is ideal) over med to med-hi heat and add the 2 Tbsp cooking fat. Once heated, add chopped onion and celery and cook for about 3-5 minutes, until softened.
- Add the ground sausage to the skillet and use a wooden spoon to break up lumps and stir as it cooks. Cook the sausage with the onions and celery until browned, lower heat to medium.
- Add the chopped apples and cook for a couple of minutes until just softened. Now add the salt and poultry seasoning. Lower the heat and stir to combine all flavors. Simmer for 2 more minutes, remove from heat and set aside.
- Once the butternut squash is roasted (it should be light brown and crisp on the outside) add it to the sausage mixture along with the dried cranberries and toss to combine. Now add the whisked egg** to the mixture and toss/mix to incorporate.
- Lower the oven heat to 375 degrees. If you used an ovenproof skillet, you can bake right in the skillet. If your skillet is not ovenproof, transfer the entire mixture to a 2-3 qt baking dish and spread out evenly.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes (less, if omitting egg) or until toasty and set. Garnish with fresh parsley if desired. Enjoy!!