As Memorial Day quickly approaches most Durango residents begin to think of the Iron Horse Bicycle Classic. This year will be the 46th Annual race to beat the train into Silverton. Over 50 miles and many feet of elevation gain serious competitors as well as those on tandem bikes, tutus and families will battle to beat the train into the tiny mountain town.
This year things will be a little different with an added gravel/dirt road race the "La Strada La Plata" as well as the "Iron BMX" to kick off the weekend. The list of events are as follows:
- Final Packet Pickup Buckley Park (3pm-7pm)
- Narrow Horse Swim - http://www.durangoswimclub.org
- Steamworks Faceplant Party: Beer, live music, vendors and bike parade. At Buckley Park 3-8pm
- Iron BMX
- Durango Coca-Cola Road Race (7:30am)
- McDonald's Citizens Tour to Silverton (8am)
- Quarter Horse to Purgatory (8:15am)
- MBS King/Queen of Mountain (Road & MTB Omnium)
- Bike Pickup Durango High School (3pm-7pm)
- Silverton Finish Line Festival: Live music, beer garden, food, vendors and racing. Memorial Park 9am-1pm. Come out and support Silverton’s non profits.
- La Strada La Plata Gravel Ride (9 AM Start)
- Morehart Murphy Subaru MTB Race (Start time TBD / Category times vary)
- Sprite Kids Race & Alpine Kids Village (Registration 8am-9am)
- Alpine Kids Village - 9am-2pm
- Durango Cyclery Cruiser Crit (Start Time TBD)
- Durango downtown bike festival: kids festival with fun activities, live music, vendors and racing. Copper mug specials around town..